Tanya Maniktala, Palomi Ghosh and others

English हिन्दी മലയാളം मराठी தமிழ் తెలుగు ไทย

Tanya Maniktala, Palomi Ghosh and others

2021-06-10 21:20:55

A Suitable Boy star Tanya Maniktala, Gully Boy cinematographer J Pinak Ojha and Scam 1992 writer-editor Sumit Purohit are among the first 10 participants of the BAFTA Breakthrough India Initiative. The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) on Thursday unveiled the list of participants for the initiative, which was announced in November last year.

Backed by streamer Netflix, the initiative will identify, celebrate and support talent working in films, sports or TV in India. Due to the sheer number of applications, the jury decided to select 10 Indian talents, twice the number announced earlier.

The jury included actor Anupam Kher, Netflix executive Monica Shergill, filmmaker Mira Nair and producer Siddharth Roy Kapur.

The list of participants included typewriter actor Palomi Ghosh, Mehsampur writer-producer Akshay Singh, Nasir writer-director Arun Karthik, composer Kartikeya Murthy, The Ab Tide writer-director Renu Sawant, Elephant in My Backyard director Vikram Singh; and Shruti Ghosh, a game developer and art director.

Participants will receive one-to-one mentoring, global networking opportunities, free access to BAFTA events and one year of screening and full voting BAFTA membership.

They will connect and learn from some of the British and Indian creative industries, share their expertise with peers around the world, gain access to opportunities beyond geographic boundaries, and be promoted as BAFTA breakthrough artists globally.

BAFTA Breakthrough India Ambassador and Jury Chair AR Rahman said that he is overwhelmed by the large number of applications from across India for the initiative.

“It serves as a big testament to the level of creative genius of India.

“As our country faces unprecedented times, we look forward to launching another group very soon, as we believe this program provides the opportunity of a lifetime for Indian talent and I look forward to seeing new opportunities.” Looking forward to what the breakthrough could bring for him in the years to come,” Rahman said.

BAFTA Chief Executive Amanda Berry congratulated the participants and welcomed them to the BAFTA Breakthrough family.

“We are extremely grateful to Netflix for supporting Breakthrough’s global expansion, sharing our vision to celebrate emerging talent from diverse backgrounds and cultures,” he added.

Berry also pointed out that due to the second wave of the coronavirus pandemic, the application process for the next Breakthrough India cohort will be delayed.

“We have an ongoing commitment to supporting the Breakthrough talent of the future, but we are also mindful of the current situation in India due to the pandemic, so while we will fully support the Breakthrough participants that were announced today, we have taken the next round. has decided to delay the opening. application,” she said.

Monica Shergill, VP, Content, Netflix India, said that India is one of the world’s great centers of storytelling.

“Despite these tough times, it was incredible to see such amazing Indian talent being applied across all genres. It served as a reminder of the tremendous opportunities for new talent, new voices and untold stories to travel across the country and around the world,” she said.

Since its launch in 2013, BAFTA Breakthrough has championed more than 160 talented newcomers, including artists Bukie Bakre, Papa Essidu, Letitia Wright, Florence Pugh, Josh O’Connor, Abubakar Salim and Lauren Ridloff, game creative Chella Ramon , Segun Akinola, Gemma Langford, and directors Nicole Newnham, Jim Lebrecht, Rose Glass, Stella Coradi and Destiny Acaraga, among many others.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *